Say hello to an easier, more equitable way to pay your fare: a new weekly fare cap with OMNY!
When you take 12 OMNY trips with the same device or bank card in a calendar week, you'll automatically ride free for the rest of the week.
No need to buy a 7-Day pass upfront. With OMNY, you pay only for the trips you take — and the more you ride, the sooner you’ll earn free trips.
Simply use the same contactless bank card, smartphone, or wearable device to pay your fare, and you’ll be one step closer to free rides.
How it works
- The fare-capping program is available for full-fare and Reduced-Fare OMNY trips on New York City subways and local buses.
- You must use the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card for each trip.
- Customers will automatically receive free, unlimited rides for the rest of the week once they have paid $33 (or $16.20 for registered Reduced-Fare customers) in fares — the same as taking 12 trips.
- The seven-day period begins at 12 a.m. on Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday.
Earning a weekly pass: example
Once you’ve paid $33 for fares in a seven-day period (beginning at 12 a.m. on Monday and ending at 11:59 p.m. on Sunday), you can ride free for the rest of the week. Here’s an example:
- A rider uses the subway to get to and from work, and takes it on weekends to go into Manhattan to meet friends. They also use the local buses in their neighborhood to run errands.
- They use their smartphone to pay the fare, so each ride is $2.75.
- After taking 12 trips, they have paid $33 in fares — the rest of the rides for the week will be free!
Reduced-Fare customers — want to switch from MetroCard to OMNY and take advantage of a half-fare weeky fare cap? Create a free OMNY account and select "Switch from Reduced-Fare MetroCard to OMNY" from the Digital Assistant in the bottom-right of your screen. Learn more about Reduced-Fare OMNY.
How fare capping works with OMNY
Tracking your trips
You can track your progress toward reaching the weekly fare cap through a free and secure OMNY account, where you can also view your trip history, manage your travel cards, and more.
Fare capping FAQ
How do I become eligible to earn free rides with the weekly fare cap?
All you have to do is tap! There is no sign-up, registration, or app required. Simply tap and go with the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card. Once you’ve hit 12 paid trips starting Monday, the rest of your rides through Sunday of the same week will automatically be free.
Do taps from my physical credit or debit card and the digital version of that card in my smart device count toward the same cap?
No. The cap only applies to a single payment method. You must use the same contactless credit or debit card, smart device, or OMNY card for each trip. Each payment method builds toward its own unique cap.
How do transfers work with the fare cap?
The same free transfer rules that apply to MetroCard also apply to OMNY. You must use the same payment method for each leg of the trip to get a free transfer. Each paid trip with OMNY counts once toward the weekly fare cap.