The MTA seeks to increase, facilitate, and encourage the participation of small businesses, including Minority and Women-Owned Business Enterprises (M/W/BEs) by providing a supportive framework for eligible firms to develop and grow within the construction industry and to establish stable, long-term business relationships with the MTA.
For non-federally funded projects, Small Business Mentoring Program (SBMP) has two tiers: Mentor (Tier 1) and Graduate Mentor (Tier 2).
Tier 1 Mentoring Program
The SBMP-Tier 1 partners emerging firms with one of the industry's largest construction management/mentoring firms-TDX Construction. The SBMP-Tier 1 provides:
- General business, organizational and professional skills development
- Construction expertise
- Access to working capital
- Experience working with MTA construction projects ($25,000 to $1,000,000)
- Fast-track payments
How to qualify for SBMP-Tier 1
The SBMP-Tier 1 is targeted to small contractors. To participate, your firm must:
- Have gross sales no greater than $3 million per year averaged over the last three calendar years.
- Have a bonding capacity no greater than $2 million.
- Be pre-qualified to do business with the MTA.
- Provide at least two references for commercial work – valued at no less than $25,000 each – in every trade for which you wish to be qualified.
- Have been in business for at least one year.
How firms get work
Once you have received your pre-qualification approval letters, you are eligible for participation in the program. You will be invited to attend an assessment session at which your company's strengths and weaknesses will be identified to customize an improvement plan. Opportunities for bidding on MTA work will be dependent upon the availability of work in the trades for which you qualify.
Information and contacts
For SBMP-Tier 1 criteria or information on how to apply:
Please call SBMP Prequalification Unit at 212-878-4757 or 212-878-7027, or email MTA SBMP: email@example.com
For SBDP training or information on how to apply:
Please call George Cleary at 212-878-7045, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the MTA’s SBDP manager:
Please call Jigish Patel at 212-878-4683, or email Jigpatel@mtahq.org.